Friday, March 12, 2010

Chungsol Elementary School





We have completed 2 weeks of school so far. My school day is 8:45am to 4:45 pm. I only have students from 9:10 to 1pm or 2pm. I teach 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade English classes. I see the 6th grade classes 2 times a week and the other grades I only see once a week. I have a Co- Korean teacher who speaks English teaching with me. I have 3 different Co-teachers that I have to plan lessons with. It will take me time to get use to teaching with another teacher in the classroom. Right now the co teacher leads the lesson, I explain directions or introduce dialogue in English. The Korean teacher can then translate if the kids need it. Next week I will start after school classes for extra money (I will make half of my salary extra, yahoo). After school classes will be from 4pm to 6pm Monday through Friday. These classes are for any students who want extra English instruction (or if their parents make them go).


The students are pretty well behaved. Some of the sixth grade students are over English class. The third grade students are so excited because it is their first year in English class. For the most part these students are better behaved then American students. If they act up in class, my co-teacher makes them stand in the corner facing the corner. Then she reprimands them after class and they are on the verge of tears. I’m glad I don’t have to be the bad guy:) My favorite part about Korean School is that the kids clean the school. Everyday there is a designated class to pick up trash, sweep, mop, and wipe every room. It is so funny to walk into a classroom and see a bunch of Korean kids working their butts off to make a class sparkle. I think American schools can learn something from this:)


I eat lunch in the cafeteria with the kids, but I sit at the teacher table. The food is pretty good. It is totally Korean. I have had as much rice these past two weeks as I have had for my whole life! The lunches are made fresh everyday with fresh (not frozen) ingredients! So, at least I am eating healthy. I eat very slow too because I am still getting use to chopsticks. Koreans don’t usually drink a beverage while they eat. They eat all of their food, clean their tray and go to the drinking station. I think that is why soup is served with every meal. I get quite thirsty when I eat, but I learned that drinking while you eat is bad for digestion. I don’t know if that is true or not, but that is what they believe:)


It is taking some time to get use to the school. It is hard to plan lessons with another teacher, but I am learning. The language barrier is very difficult too, it takes twice as long to communicate. The teachers at my school are strict during school hours, but off hours they have a lot of fun. Every Wednesday is Volleyball practice with the teachers. We even bought new uniforms. I guess there are tournaments against other Elementary school staff. I better practice:) Everyday is an adventure and this city is starting to feel more and more comfortable to me.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great experience. You guys will never be the same. Have any family or friends scheduled a visit? Thanks for your detailed report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to hear about your adventures and I am glad you're getting more comfortable there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, still waiting for family and friends to plan a visit:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are having an awesome time and a great learning experience--you can add lots of value to our American schools! Enjoy yourselves. LEARN YOUR KOREAN!!!

    ReplyDelete